BREAKING NEWS: Trump could be back on Facebook in time for the 2024 election season as his account suspension expires next year
- Donald Trump could be back on Facebook in 2023, according to Meta’s president of global affairs
- The former president was banned from the social media site in 2021
- He had over 35 million followers on Facebook before his account was banned
- At the time, the Silicon Valley giant said Trump would only be allowed to re-enter the site when “the risk to public safety has decreased.”
- Nick Clegg, Meta’s president of global affairs, is responsible for lifting the ban and announced the news this morning
Donald Trump could return to Facebook in time for the 2024 election season as his account suspension is due to expire next year.
Nick Clegg, Meta’s president of global affairs, is in charge of lifting the ban – and revealed Trump could be back on the platform in 2023.
The former president, who has amassed 35 million followers on the social media site, was banned in 2021 after his comments allegedly incited violence ahead of the Capitol riot.
At the time, the Silicon Valley giant said Trump would only be allowed to re-enter the site when “the risk to public safety has decreased.”
In response to the Jan. 6 riots, he was sensationally dumped by Instagram and Twitter in January.
Donald Trump could be back on Facebook in time for the 2024 election season, Meta’s president for global affairs announced Thursday
Mark Zuckerberg, the founder of Meta and Facebook, has kicked Trump off the social media site for his role in the Capitol riot
Speaking at a Semafor Exchange event in Washington, DC today, Clegg said: “When you make a decision that affects the public, you must act with great caution.
‘You shouldn’t throw your weight around.’
Clegg, Britain’s Deputy Prime Minister, said: “If we believe there is content on our platform that is going to lead to real harm – physical harm – then we clearly feel a responsibility to act against it.”
Trump is reportedly facing a challenge for the 2024 Republican nomination from Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, though neither man has yet declared his intention to run for the White House.
In the wake of his ban, Trump warned that Big Tech would pay a “political price” to take away its freedom of expression.
The decision was an unprecedented move of censorship against a world leader and sparked a global debate about how much control social media and Big Tech should have.
In an email to supporters in May 2021, Trump raged: “What Facebook, Twitter and Google have done is a total disgrace and an embarrassment to our country.
“The President of the United States has been stripped of his freedom of speech because the radical left lunatics are afraid of the truth, but the truth will still come out, bigger and stronger than ever.
“The people of our country will not accept this! These corrupt social media companies must pay a political price and never again destroy and decimate our electoral process.’
Nick Clegg (pictured) is responsible for lifting Trump’s ban. Previously he was Deputy Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
The Facebook revelation comes at a difficult time for Trump – after he was sued by New York Attorney General Letitia James yesterday for alleged involvement in “numerous acts of fraud” following a three-year investigation.
James announced the $250 million lawsuit against the former president, citing a document accusing Trump and his three adult children of inflating homes well in excess of their true value when seeking loans to expand his real estate empire extend.
She specifically named Trump and his three adult children, Don Jr., Eric and Ivanka Trump, saying they “continued” to inflate the value of assets.
Trump was also at the center of an FBI raid in August – when his mansion in Mar-a-Lago was ransacked and documents seized by agents as part of an ongoing probe.
The Justice Department has said it is investigating Trump for removing White House records it believes he illegally possessed documents, including some involving intelligence gathering and classified human sources — among the best America’s best kept secrets.
The FBI says it took about 11,000 documents, including about 100 with classification marks, found in a storage room and office when a court-approved search warrant was served on the home Aug. 8.
Trump and his three children (pictured) were slapped with the $250 million lawsuit on Wednesday