dr Melanie Kaspar, an anesthesiologist at Surgicare North Dallas who died in June
Dallas police opened an investigation into the death of an anesthetist who suffered a heart attack after self-administering intravenous fluids she brought home from the surgery center where she worked, two months before an 18-year-old died Boy during operation nearly died same facility.
The examination takes place after Dr. Melanie Kaspar, 55, died of cardiac arrest in June after bringing home and hooking up to an IV bag from Surgicare North Dallas because she felt dehydrated.
She suffered the heart attack at the $1million mansion she shares with her actuary husband John, 56, minutes after administering the IV.
Coroners ruled it was caused by toxic complications from the anesthetic bupivacaine.
Shockingly, an unidentified 18-year-old boy had to be put on a ventilator after suffering a huge spike in his blood pressure during surgery at Surgicare North Dallas in August.
He underwent routine nose surgery to correct a nasal septum deviation, which had to be interrupted to get the boy into intensive care. The boy was put on a ventilator for a week. He has since recovered and the nose job is now complete as well.
Surgicare North Dallas suspended its operations last week after discovering an IV bag that “appeared to have been compromised,” the facility said in a statement.
Sources close to the investigation said the compromised bag may have been linked to both incidents, according to NBC 5.
Officials have not clarified how the bag was compromised and it is unclear whether the criminal investigation involves medical negligence or possible tampering.
Melanie Kaspar’s $1 million Dallas home, where she died in June after administering an IV bag she took home from work
Surgicare North Dallas suspended its operations last week after discovering an IV bag that “appeared to have been compromised,” the facility said in a statement
dr Melanie Kaspar, 55, died of cardiac arrest in June after bringing an IV bag home from work and putting it on because she felt dehydrated
During the August 18 incident involving the 18-year-old boy, the teenager developed severe breathing problems.
He was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was put on a ventilator. He was kept in the hospital for five days after the incident.
An attorney for the boy’s family, Bruce Steckler, told The Dallas Morning News he is reviewing how IV bags are cared for and kept safe at the facility.
“As you can imagine, having your 18-year-old son have a 50/50 chance of survival after a routine procedure was a terrifying experience,” he said.
The hospital could not be reached for comment when contacted by DailyMail.com.
The company that owns the surgical facility, Baylor Scott and White, also could not be reached but previously said in a statement it was working on the investigation.
“We remain focused on assisting investigators,” the statement said. “Nothing is more important than the safety and well-being of our patients.”
An obituary for Kaspar (left) described her as a “loving” person who has always lived life to the fullest
Colleagues described Kaspar (right) as a committed and caring doctor who always knew how to put patients at ease
An obituary for Kaspar described her as a “loving” person who always lived life to the fullest.
“No words can adequately contain Mel. She was a whirling dervish and did nothing half-heartedly,” the obituary reads.
“Melanie was a woman of integrity and honor. She was genuine and unapologetically herself. She had a style all her own.”
Numerous testimonials in another obituary described her as a dedicated and caring doctor who always knew how to calm patients down.
“She was an extremely compassionate anesthetist and staff member,” wrote a former colleague, “loving her work and touching so many lives during her time in the operating room.”